Ask any professional blogger and they'll tell you that the number one mistake is not building an email list. Email is the best way to keep in touch with your customer base, as well as to help it grow.
Why? Because just about everyone uses their email, some even check it several times a day. People with smart phones are signed in 24/7 with push notifications enabled for constant emailing. This makes email a much more personal, direct, and reliable way to get in touch.
But if that still doesn't sell you on building an email address list, here are some hard-hitting reasons why you should change your ways:
The Power of Your Email List
- Sales lead generation. People who subscribe to your email address list are people who have voluntarily said, 'Yes, I want more of what you've got'. Whether you are a small business owner, or work for a multinational corporation, keep this group at the core of your marketing strategy. And in short, give them more.
- Cost-effective marketing. Email marketing is perhaps the cheapest type of advertising available, besides word-of-mouth that is. There aren't any stamps or paper involved, nor do you have to sign an agreement with a billboard company. Instead, you simply have to get people to subscribe to your list, and then send them emails pertaining to your marketing strategy, all for next to nothing.
- Reap the follow-up profits. It's rare for consumers to make a big purchase decision on their first look at any brand, service, or product. Instead, it's common for individuals to make note, do more research, and then come backto put down the credit card. Sustaining an email address list is a great way of developing a relationship with those interested-but-not-too-interested consumers, hooking them with more information about the brand, benefits of the product/service, testimonials, and potentially special, email-only discounts. All of this can be done through the power of email.
Okay, so now that you have a better idea of why email marketing is so powerful, the next step is learning how to build your email address list.
How to Grow Your Email List
- Collect face-to-face. Do you have a physical storefront? Or do you frequent trade shows or other industry gatherings? These places are great for collecting email address via physical interactions. You can do this by having a simple paper sign-up sheet that you input daily, a fish bowl in which customers exchange their business cards for awards, or by using signs and sandwich boards to alert passersby of all the great info and potential discounts they can receive if they sign up for your email address list.
- Utilize your website. The next place to gather emails is in the digital world. Most email marketing providers have simple sign-up forms you can embed on your website. You might also consider collecting email addresses whenever visitors make a purchase or schedule an appointment on your website.
- Spread out with social media. The final big push should be infiltrating social media. This means Tweeting about special rewards for email list subscribers, adding a sign-up form to your Facebook page, joining Google+ communities and soliciting members, or utilizing YouTube for promotions. Remember, social media is a place where users create and share content, so it's one of the best places to promote your own brand and email address list. For the best results don't be too sales-y, instead offer something in return for their subscription.
In the end, have fun with it! There are many different ways you can collect email addresses. Be sure to integrate your new subscribers into an effective marketing strategy. The most important tip to remember is that you should never buy your email list.