There’s no doubt your kids have big smiles on their faces right now. No more teachers. No more books. No more teacher’s dirty looks? Ring a bell? We’re sure it does and while your kids are excited that school’s out for summer, we know that you’re busy reading up on summer safety tips for latchkey kids. To that end, the following are some things you’ll want to do to help keep your kids safe while you’re at work:
- Update Contact Information. Make sure that you have telephone numbers, emails, and pertinent contact information posted in your home so your kids can find it without any trouble.
- Drill Your Kids. Make sure they know what to do should an emergency arise. Quiz them until you know that they know what to do, who to call, and where to go should something come up.
- Establish Rules. Let your kids know what’s acceptable, and what’s crossing the line. You should establish rules for friend’s visits, answering phones, cooking, and internet usage.
- Go James Bond. By connecting home video surveillance to your home automation system, you can monitor your home while you’re away. This lets you know whether li’l Jimmy’s playing nice with his little brother…or whether he needs a time out.
- Create Routines. This will help keep your children calm and let them know that you’re there even when you’re not. This also lets them know when you’re going to check-in, and when they can check-in with you.
We would be happy to discuss these summer safety tips for latchkey kids with you. That’s why we invite you to contact us at 877-735-3110 with your questions and to learn more about the products and services we offer that can help keep your kids safe from now through graduation.