When it comes to keeping your home safe, no one knows more about it than the members of the law enforcement community. That’s why we strongly recommend you consider the following top crime prevention tips for homeowners:
- Start a neighborhood watch. The more eyes watching your community, the safer you will be. This gives great coverage to everyone in the neighborhood because everyone is watching out for one another.
- Speak up if you see something. If you notice something suspicious, contact the police. Ask them to take a look and see if they notice anything. In fact, just having a patrol car drive by is an effective deterrent most criminals will pay close attention to.
- Make it known that you have a security system. Place a sticker in the window and advertise it. This is often enough to cause criminals to move on to an easier target.
- Maintain your home. A well trimmed lawn in front of a well maintained house shows criminals you care about your property’s appearance; ergo, you care about its safety and have taken measures to protect it.
- Lock your home up. Don’t rely on stickers, cameras, and appearances to keep your home secure. You have door locks and window locks for a reason; make sure to use them at all times.
These tips will help keep you and your family safe in your home. Coupled with simple steps like not advertising wealth/possessions, each of these tips will help make your home and neighborhood just a little safer.
Our company was founded by a former law enforcement officer, which is why we know these top crime prevention tips for homeowners really do work. For more helpful security information and tips, we invite you to contact us at SHIELD Security Systems.